Skip to main content

Stardust, a Review

Let me preface this by saying I really (I mean really, really) don’t care for Claire Danes…

With that said, I have to admit that she was fairly enjoyable in Stardust (which the brat and I went to see earlier – yeah for cheap Mondays at the local theater).

Now, it's no secret that I think Neil Gaiman is a veritable God - I've devoured his stuff since I was a geeklet in training, hoarding his "Sandman" comic books from the evilness that is my siblings and their sticky, icky fingers as if it were pure ambrosia. Though my Mum will probably tell you I hoarded all of my books away like that - and cried when I donated a good portion to the bookstore she opened when I was 16.

Despite his God like proportions in the written genre, he's never really translated well to tv/movies... I mean Neverwhere the series from the UK was wonderful but not as wonderful as it could have been.

Now some would say that Stardust just doesn't capture the right essence... and in some cases, that is true. In the very beginning it’s a bit... clunky, but that's to be expected as the beginning sets up the whole wide world that is "Stardust."

Charlie Cox was so adorable - I just wanted to pinch his cheeks, cuddle him close and tell him he would have love - he was Tristan... the Tristan I envisioned when I first read Stardust. Claire Danes, of course, was the falling star he searches for, believing that she's going to be a hunk of rock when he sets out - but that IS the quirkiness of Stormhold. Now as I said above, I don't care of Claire Danes - it's a hold over of my teenage years, yet she played the part beautifully. Together, the two of them played the characters with such a light, carefree hand that you felt they were Tristan and Yvaine.

What is fantastic is how the film touched on so many characters and so many story elements in a wonderful way - it could have gone so wrong. Case in point, Michelle Pfeiffer as Lamia (the evil witch). Okay, so it wasn't a wonderful performance, and her accent was appalling - but it was so fun to watch her act unrelentingly cruel and evil. Or even Robert De Niro's portrayal of Captain Shakespeare - it could have been so god awful, but I thought it was quirky, funny, and utterly adorable.

The subplots were remarkable and didn't suffer at all throughout the movie. The brothers, Dunstan (Nathaniel Parker), Septimus (Mark Strong), Secundus (Rupert Everett), Primus (Jason Flemyng), Tertius (Mark Heap), and Quintus (Adam Buxton) were played beautifully by the actors - and the humor was so slight and so genuine you couldn't help but appreciate how subtlety it was worked in. And the swordfight scene with the "dead" body, has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I am so very, very glad we went to see this, and I truly think it lived up to the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Unconventional Moment Redux

I’m beginning to feel like some sort of addict, chasing the dragon around for the next high, yet, even knowing how pathetic I’ve become about all this, I can’t stop. It’s a good thing faculty are allowed off grounds during the weekends; else I am not sure how I would survive. I’ve taken precautions; no longer do I meet him in any place I might be recognized, it wouldn’t do for someone in my position to be seen obtaining this sort of service, so, I’ve taken to arranging a more secure location for my folly. Being a Muggle born does have its advantages, and my ability to work outside of Diagon Alley’s constraints is a blessing some days. I don’t know if he objects, he hasn’t said so yet, though I suppose as long as I pay him in Galleons it doesn’t matter. I’m still not quite comfortable with all of this, though I can’t stop. I’ve picked a lovely hotel within the Bayswater district of London for tonight’s tryst. Despite the cold and the snow, I stand on the balcony, enjoying the play ...

An Unconventional Moment Chapter 6

I pull a towel out of the wardrobe and make my way into the lavatory. I’ve charmed the mirror above the sink not to talk, so the reflection of me just mouths silent words as I reach into the bath and twist on the hot-water faucet. I slowly strip the constricting faculty robes from my body – there are times when I wish I could wear the simpler Muggle attire, but that’s the price I pay for working here. The coolness of the room brushes against my skin, causing my flesh to break out in goose bumps. It’s never warm in this part of the castle, no matter how many fireplaces are lit. I rub my hands up and down my arms as I wait for the steam to warm the room. Just before I step into the streaming water, I reach over and slightly turn the cold-water faucet. I may adore hot showers, but I have no desire to boil myself to death. I can feel the knot at the back of my neck start to loosen as I step into the now comfortable hot stream of water. I drop my head forward, resting my forehead a...

An Unconventional Moment Chapter 4

Chasing Time It is raining as I cross the street just in front of the Three Broomsticks. Hardly an astounding feat for London, much less winter in London. I’ve been quite good lately – at least, quite good compared to what I was just a short time ago. I’ve not needed to… get away in almost an entire month. A record, I think. I walk into the empty hotel room, feeling incredibly wet and tired, though those are only inconveniences. My mind is wholly on tonight. I place the perennial bottle of potion on the table beside the bed as I make my way to the bathroom. Once inside, I quickly strip the wet clothes from me, hanging them on the shower curtain rod so I can cast a drying charm on them. It isn’t long before I hear the door opening. I wait, not wanting to see the transformation – this may all be an illusion, but it is my illusion. I open the bathroom door and watch him stride towards me. It never fails to amaze me how utterly perfect the Polyjuice Potion is; I want to devour hi...