Skip to main content

Tomorrow's Appeal Chapter 2

Wednesday, June 5th
The Burrow

“All right, Hermione,” Molly said as the young woman emerged out of her fireplace, “I think you better be telling me just what’s going on before Josie and Alice arrive.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“Don’t play coy with me, Missy,” Molly huffed, waving a spoon in her direction. “I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt here, since when have you leave to rent out Craig Mhor?”

“There isn’t much to tell.” She moved around and snagged a warm roll from the counter beside Molly. “I wrote to him, apprising him of the situation and he offered. You know how he is about these things.”

“Get out of that,” Molly snapped, slapping at her hand with the spoon. “I swear you’re getting to be as bad as Ron.” Hermione grinned cheekily at Molly as she plopped a bite into her mouth. “Is he coming home then?” she asked, pushing the butter towards Hermione.

“No,” Hermione sighed, leaning against the counter, “he’s not coming home just yet.”

“Do you really think it’s wise to send Josie to Craig Mhor?”

“What do you suggest we do then? You two have already argued over her moving in here with you, and I doubt she’d take kindly to moving in with me, or anyone else for that matter. The cottage is available, and, despite its unpleasant residential annoyance, is probably the best spot for her and Alice.”

“Yes, well,” Molly sniffed, “I still can’t believe Elfredia Longbottom is doing this, and to her own great-grandchild.”

Hermione shrugged. “You know how Neville’s gran can be.”

“Still, it isn’t right, what she and that lot of hers are doing, it isn’t right at all.”

“Yes, well, I don’t think they’ll get far,” Hermione replied, breaking off another piece of the roll. “Everything I’ve looked at, so far, suggests that Alice is entitled to Neville’s assets, as his heir. So, while they’re making it hard on Josie at the moment, Alice will get everything they’re trying to deny them once she gains majority.”

“That’s all well and good then, but what about now, when Josie and Alice need those assets?” Molly asked, her tone conveying her contempt for the Longbottom’s actions toward her girls. “What about the cottage? Will Alice and Josie be able to return to Rose Cottage?”

“I don’t think so. Technically the cottage wasn’t Neville’s; apparently his gran let them live there, even though she disapproved of Josie.”

“Thus, they have no choice but to make a go of it at Craig Mhor,” Molly stated flatly. “Have you told her yet?”

“No,” Hermione sighed, pushing off from the counter, “not yet. I’ll talk to her once she’s settled.” She reached around Molly’s ample frame and snagged another roll. “Speaking of settled, would you mind helping me tomorrow at Craig Mhor? I need to make sure the Muggle confusion and repel charms are down, it would be horrible if we set Josie up in the cottage only to have her get lost the first time she went out into the yard.”


~~oOo~~oOo~~oOo~~


Wednesday, June 5th
Rose Cottage

“I don’t wanna,” cried Alice, her face red and blotchy with tears. “You can’t make me!”

“Alice Claire Longbottom, when I ask you to do something I expect you to do it.”

“I don’t wanna move, I wanna stay here,” Alice screamed. “You can’t make me go!”

“Alice, stop it,” Josie said in a stern voice.

“You can’t make me,” Alice howled, flinging herself onto the floor. She kicked and writhed against it, all the while screaming, “You can’t.”

A flower vase flew off the bookshelf and crashed to the floor, the books lining the bookshelf began to whip across the room, where they smacked into the wall, only to fall the floor. Alice screamed until her voice began to get hoarse, kicking at the floor as tears of rage rolled down her face.

Josie pulled Alice onto her lap, curling a leg around Alice’s flaying legs and wrapping her arm around Alice’s body. “I know Baby, I know,” she muttered in a calm voice, rocking her body back and forth. The furniture rattled against the floor, thumping and scraping as it shook in place.

Alice shuddered, her muscles tensing and twitching as Josie held on. “It’s scary to be this out of control,” she whispered against Alice’s ear. Water drops began to fall all around the room, as Josie held on to her daughter.

“I’m going to help you gain control,” Josie said soothingly into her hair, over and over again, as she rocked Alice. “I’m going to hold you until you get back into control.”

“I don’t wanna,” Alice gasped out, “please, Mummy, don’t make me.”

“I’m sorry Alice,” Josie murmured. “We don’t have a choice. We can’t stay here.”

“But – but, Daddy,” Alice wailed. “We’ll forget Daddy if we go.”

“Ah honey, you will never forget your Daddy,” Josie assured the trembling girl. “He’s always here.” She placed her hand over Alice’s heart.

“But – what if I forget?” Alice whimpered. “What if I can’t remember him?”

“You won’t forget,” whispered Josie, “I won’t let you forget.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

~~oOo~~oOo~~oOo~~


Wednesday, June 5th
Hermione Granger’s Flat

“Bloody hell, Hermione, there’s an owl at the window,” came a sleepy, gruff voice, followed by a sharp jab of an elbow. “Get out of bed, you lazy slag, and get it.”

“’S sleeping…” she mumbled, rolling over and pulling the covers over her head.

“Hermione,” the voice grunted, as the owner pushed her out of bed. “You’ve an owl.”

She landed with an undignified thump, sprawled out in a mess of blankets. “Eh? What?” she uttered unintelligibly.

“Owl,” came the muffled reply.

“Oh, right. Owl,” she muttered in a sleepy voice, pulling herself up of the floor. She crossed to the window and pushed it open.

“You’ve got a rotten sense of timing,” she wheezed at the bird, as it stuck out its leg. “I’d have thought by now you’d’ve developed enough manners to nip your owner if he did something like this at this time of night.”

“Go on,” she shooed the bird once the message was off, “I’ve nothing for you, not at this time of night.” The owl ruffled its feathers and gave a reprimanding hoot before taking flight.

Hermione,
Will be sending workers to the cottage at the end of week. Make sure he doesn’t scare them off before Josie moves in. She should be fine in the house as long as they avoid cellar, he doesn’t manifest unless someone touches the items down there.


She threw the note on the nightstand, and climbed back into bed.

“Was that…?” asked her bedmate.

“No, it wasn’t.”

“It sure looked like it was his owl…”

“It wasn’t,” she yawned, rolling on to her side.

~~oOo~~oOo~~oOo~~


Chapter 3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Unconventional Moment Chapter 6

I pull a towel out of the wardrobe and make my way into the lavatory. I’ve charmed the mirror above the sink not to talk, so the reflection of me just mouths silent words as I reach into the bath and twist on the hot-water faucet. I slowly strip the constricting faculty robes from my body – there are times when I wish I could wear the simpler Muggle attire, but that’s the price I pay for working here. The coolness of the room brushes against my skin, causing my flesh to break out in goose bumps. It’s never warm in this part of the castle, no matter how many fireplaces are lit. I rub my hands up and down my arms as I wait for the steam to warm the room. Just before I step into the streaming water, I reach over and slightly turn the cold-water faucet. I may adore hot showers, but I have no desire to boil myself to death. I can feel the knot at the back of my neck start to loosen as I step into the now comfortable hot stream of water. I drop my head forward, resting my forehead a

An Unconventional Moment Chapter 9

Title: An Unconventional Moment Chapter Title: This is the End... Author: celisnebula Character(s)/Pairing: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape Warnings: Explicit Sexual Content, (possible) Dubious Consent, Anal Rating: NC-17 I take one last look around my room, trying to gauge if I have missed anything.  No. Not my room—at least not any longer. Strange. It wasn’t mine any longer.  I sag against the door-frame, panic and remorse snaking up my spine. This room had been my home—my refuge—for the last few years, and now there was nothing left of me in it.  It was a surreal feeling. Letting out a soft sigh, I shifted; it was time.  Time to let go. Time to move on. I suppose anyone would feel this way; change isn’t easy to accept, even when it’s supposed to be good for you. I straightened my spine.  No use quibbling over something that I knew was going to happen; something I had, in fact, orchestrated.  I couldn’t stay here; not anymore. I had made the decision to leave m

Tit for Tat

Title: Tit for Tat Author: celisnebula Character(s)/Pairing: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape Warnings: Explicit Sexual Content Rating: NC-17 “You’re a bloody prat, you know that, right?” she huffed at Harry Potter, who was drunkenly slumped in the corner booth of the Hog’s Head. “Not,” he slurred.  “You’re just stroppy because you lost.”  He picked a shot of firewhisky from the table in front of him and downed it in one gulp.  “You’re always so bloody sure you’ll win-” “That’s cause she does,” Ron interjected. “-that you never entertain the idea that you just might not,” Harry continued as if Ron hadn’t interrupted. “’Sides, you’ve been mooning over him practically forever .”  He drew the word forever out in a sibilant hiss.  Ron nodded his head in agreement. “I hate you both!” she exclaimed, grabbing her own shot of firewhisky.  It burned pleasantly down her throat. “Nut’un,” Ron grunted.  “You lub us!”  He gave her his best Weasley glare.  “Betcha had something plan