Skip to main content

Bitch, Please

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This just had me laughing my ass off.


Granted, the way JKR has written the character, he is terribly complex and convoluted, but there is no way in hell that he is innocent.

With the exception of this first book, everything we’ve seen of this character has been colored by the “Harry radar,” and those glimpses gives us a look at an unpleasant man who enjoys terrorizing those he holds within his power. What I mean is, throughout the HP books, we basically have Harry as the narrator, but he is an unreliable one at best. We see everything colored through Harry vision.

For example:

Malfoy is, by din of that one small little meeting in Madam Mankin’s, now the new Dudley, and there for we have the initial set-up of why Harry will never be his friend. Yes, I know the dislike goes much deeper than that, but it is that first impression which leads the reader to know that Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter will never be friends.

The Weasley’s also, by din of first impressions, become very important to Harry. We first glimpse them in the train station trying to get onto platform 9 and ¾. We have Molly, ushering her children in the most common, motherly way, onto the magical platform from school, and when Harry asks for directions, she gives him kindly, motherly advice on how to get by. This is not something that Harry had ever experienced. I think, with the exception of Hagrid, Harry had never had any kindness from any of the adults in his life, and that creates a big impact. Harry can also relate to Ron, who despite his loving parents, has known the frustration of having nothing. Harry has known that feeling very well. So, it is a beginning bond of understanding and desire that forges the first tentative friendship between Harry and the Weasley clan.

Our first view of Snape is no less colored, he appears evil and unpleasant the first time Harry views him, and that impression is confirmed (at least in Harry’s eyes) by Snape’s actions on the first day of class. To Harry, Snape is evil personified, more villainous than Voldemort at times, and we, are lead down the primrose path of Snape’s inevitable hatefulness.

I can hear the gasping sobs of… but, but he’s saved Harry and he’s a spy for the Order, and he’s done this and that. Ah yeah, okay.

Even away from the Harry goggled vision, Snape is not a pleasant person. This is a man who has been unpleasant since adolescences, and has not outgrown it. His teenage years are filled with ensuing violence, and while yes, I can see how he would have to protect himself from the “bullying Marauders,” he went above and beyond protecting himself. As we can see from HBP, he created some pretty nasty jinxes, and if we take the pensive memory from OoTP, he used them quite liberally. There is no doubt in my mind that he had a right to protect himself, but I think the animosity between Snape and the Marauders goes far beyond that. This is not to discount the horrible things that the other side did either, for pre-meditated murder is not merely a high-strung antic, and this is precisely what Sirius Black attempted.

I have no idea if the actions of Sirius Black pushed him into an untenable position or not, but the past actions of others does not absolve Snape from the actions he later took. He joined a group of radical fanatics wanting to purge the Wizarding World of the invading Muggle menace, and yet he too is a part of that invading menace. Under this so-called purification group I have no doubt that he committed some horrific atrocities, probably more than willing in some cases. If the way the Death Eaters react to him during the scenes before and after Dumbledore’s death are any indication, Snape is one badass motherfucker. That, itself, speaks telling volumes. What savagery has Snape done that makes other psychotic killers back off?

Then we have, of course, the final nail in Snape’s coffin, at least as far as Harry is concerned. We have the death of Dumbledore at the hands of the man he had placed a significant amount of trust in.

Does all this mean that Severus Snape is irredeemably evil?

Lord no. There are so many other things to consideration, things that better people than I, have pointed out.

We, for starters, have no idea what lead Snape back into Dumbledore’s embrace. We have the *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* version that Harry came up with and Dumbledore alluded to when Harry presented his case, but we have no honest way of knowing whether or not this is the truth. It may very well be that Snape is the consummate double-crossing spy, firmly in Voldemort’s camp while stringing along the Order, but, somehow, I doubt this. I’m probably grasping at straws, but I believe that had Snape firmly been Voldemort’s man, he would have gift wrapped Harry and presented him to the Dark Lord instead of merely blocking Harry’s rampage as he retreated. Nor, I think, would he have stopped the other Death Eaters from casting curses on the boy-who-lived. Seriously, would Voldemort really have cared in what condition Harry Potter was in, if presented the opportunity to end the opposition to his return? I don’t think so.

All book six does is lead me to believe that Severus Snape is a man who cannot get past certain grudges in his life. I’m not saying that he hasn’t a legitimate complaint against the recently deceased Black, but his actions and reactions towards Harry and Lupin border on obsessive compulsive. It paints a picture of a sad little man, so unhappy with who he is and all of the bad choices he mad that he can’t allow himself to grow beyond that point. He may have a strange honor code, he may be striving to do the right thing, but overall, how he presents himself will always drag him down.

Evil, probably not, but innocent, ah hell no.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Unconventional Moment Chapter 6

I pull a towel out of the wardrobe and make my way into the lavatory. I’ve charmed the mirror above the sink not to talk, so the reflection of me just mouths silent words as I reach into the bath and twist on the hot-water faucet. I slowly strip the constricting faculty robes from my body – there are times when I wish I could wear the simpler Muggle attire, but that’s the price I pay for working here. The coolness of the room brushes against my skin, causing my flesh to break out in goose bumps. It’s never warm in this part of the castle, no matter how many fireplaces are lit. I rub my hands up and down my arms as I wait for the steam to warm the room. Just before I step into the streaming water, I reach over and slightly turn the cold-water faucet. I may adore hot showers, but I have no desire to boil myself to death. I can feel the knot at the back of my neck start to loosen as I step into the now comfortable hot stream of water. I drop my head forward, resting my forehead a

An Unconventional Moment Chapter 9

Title: An Unconventional Moment Chapter Title: This is the End... Author: celisnebula Character(s)/Pairing: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape Warnings: Explicit Sexual Content, (possible) Dubious Consent, Anal Rating: NC-17 I take one last look around my room, trying to gauge if I have missed anything.  No. Not my room—at least not any longer. Strange. It wasn’t mine any longer.  I sag against the door-frame, panic and remorse snaking up my spine. This room had been my home—my refuge—for the last few years, and now there was nothing left of me in it.  It was a surreal feeling. Letting out a soft sigh, I shifted; it was time.  Time to let go. Time to move on. I suppose anyone would feel this way; change isn’t easy to accept, even when it’s supposed to be good for you. I straightened my spine.  No use quibbling over something that I knew was going to happen; something I had, in fact, orchestrated.  I couldn’t stay here; not anymore. I had made the decision to leave m

Tit for Tat

Title: Tit for Tat Author: celisnebula Character(s)/Pairing: Hermione Granger/Severus Snape Warnings: Explicit Sexual Content Rating: NC-17 “You’re a bloody prat, you know that, right?” she huffed at Harry Potter, who was drunkenly slumped in the corner booth of the Hog’s Head. “Not,” he slurred.  “You’re just stroppy because you lost.”  He picked a shot of firewhisky from the table in front of him and downed it in one gulp.  “You’re always so bloody sure you’ll win-” “That’s cause she does,” Ron interjected. “-that you never entertain the idea that you just might not,” Harry continued as if Ron hadn’t interrupted. “’Sides, you’ve been mooning over him practically forever .”  He drew the word forever out in a sibilant hiss.  Ron nodded his head in agreement. “I hate you both!” she exclaimed, grabbing her own shot of firewhisky.  It burned pleasantly down her throat. “Nut’un,” Ron grunted.  “You lub us!”  He gave her his best Weasley glare.  “Betcha had something plan